Wednesday, July 30, 2008

stereotyping and its close knit relationship with fashion (teenagers)

These days, teenagers think a whole lot about what they wear.  I know that I do.  I plan out my clothing days in advance for certain events.  Right now I'm thinking about what I'll be wearing to go to the mall with my grandma on Saturday.  That isn't what my post is really about though.  Its about something more than that.  Something more important, that bugs me greatly.


The way that teenagers dress in many circumstances determines what social group or clique they are a part of.  This wave of stereotyping is very interesting.  Lets say that a kid is wearing a Hollister or an Abercrombie shirt with a pair of jeans from the same store.  They are considered a prep.  Most people continue on to think that they are stuck up.  Now, a prep used to be someone who went to prep school.  Seems logical.  Why are kids who choose to wear those brands considered preps?  

Another stereotype which angers me more is "emo".  Most people consider the emo kids the ones who shop at Hot Topic and wear skinny jeans and band t-shirts.  That is pretty much how I dress.  I love wearing skinnies and band t-s.  Emo kids are considered dark and sensitive with low self esteem and are believed to cut themselves.  I've never cut myself and I don't consider myself to have low self esteem.  And every kid is emotional.  What is the point?

I am confused as to why people feel the need to slap labels on people based on the way that they dress.  

I know that this is a fashion blog, but I felt the need to interject that.

Please go to this link and read a full article that I wrote on the subject: Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

1 comments:

Mimsie said...

Unfortunately this is too true. Happened way back in the late 70's when punk/new wave was going on. People need to relax and worry about things that really matter!